Internet Safety Tips
Make sure you know what your children are doing online and who they are talking to. Ask them to show you how to use any applications you have never used.
- Help your children to understand that they should never give out personal details to online friends...personal information includes their messenger ID, email address, mobile number (if they have one) and any pictures of themselves, their family or friends. If your child publishes a picture or video online, anyone can change it or share it!
- If your child receives spam/junk mail & texts, remind them never to believe them, reply to them or use them.
- It's not a good idea for your child to open files that are from people they don't know. They won't know what they contain - it could be a virus, or worse - an inappropriate image or film.
- Help your child to understand that some people lie online and that therefore it's better to keep online mates online. They should never meet up with any strangers without an adult they trust.
- Always keep communication open for a child to know that it's never too late to tell someone if something makes them feel uncomfortable.
Some useful e-safety related web links for parents are below.